Ellbee’s Holiday Brined Turkey
Ellbee's Holiday Brined Turkey
Enjoy a brined Thanksgiving turkey.
Recipe type: Main
- 1 Ellbee's Fire Brine or Herb Brine
- 1 18-20 lb. turkey
- 1 gallon water
- 1 gallon ice water
- butter, corn starch
- Combine Ellbee's Fire or Herb brine and 1 gallon of water in a stock pot, and bring to a boil.
- Stir to dissolve solids, then remove from heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- The night before cooking, combine the brine and ice water in a clean 5-gallon bucket. (corrosive free container or lined with a large trash bag). Place thawed, cleaned turkey breast side down in brine, fill the cavity of the turkey with the brine also, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area (like a basement or garage) for 12 hours. Turn turkey over once, half way through brining.
- Remove the bird from the brine and rinse inside and out with cold water several times. Discard brine.
- Place bird on roasting rack inside wide, low pan and pat dry with paper towels. Add dressing to cavity at this time. Tuck back wings and coat whole bird lightly with a little butter or oil if desired.
- Roast as directed. Remember a brined turkey cooks a little faster so adjust your time by 30 minutes or so.
- Allow turkey to rest for 15-20 minutes while you are making the gravy. It will slice beautiful that way.
- Gravy: 2 cups drippings, ½ cup water and 3 T. cornstarch or flour. Bring drippings to a slow boil, mix water and cornstarch together and slowly pour into drippings while stirring to desired thickness. Enjoy your beautiful brined turkey!